Purewithin's Top 13 Natural Remedies For Stress
If you've been thinking of natural remedies for stress, this blog is for you! It's no surprise to anyone to hear that life is stressful for everyone in some way this year. 2020 Has been a wild rollercoaster ride in one way or another for every person on the planet, and we've all experienced intense amounts of stress coming to terms with the global pandemic this year.
Life seems inside out, upside down, and back to front, and life as we have known it has changed forever. People have lost loved ones, jobs, homes, friends, income... and many of us have spent a lot of time in isolation this year, or at home with kids who were not able to go to school for months. It's no wonder many people are looking for help to cope with their stressors.
In this blog, we'll look at what some of the mainstream stress "solutions" are when asking western doctors for help, and then we're going to look at some natural remedies for stress and how they may be able to help you.
The Mainstream Way Of Managing Stress
We're just going to cut to the chase here and say it: It is very few and far between that a traditional western doctor won't prescribe antidepressants for stress, even if the stressors are not long term issues. And while there are those who do need antidepressants, often times these pills have crazy side effects that bring in a necessity for more medication to combat the side effects. For example, many antidepressants have insomnia as a side effect. Insomnia is bound to exacerbate your stress and depression, so before you know it, you'll be popping sleeping pills and tranquillisers if the doctors have anything to do with it.
The first problem with these sorts of pills is that they don't address to core issue, and rather act as a band aid to mask the underlying issues. They numb out the feelings, fry our neural pathways, and leave us completely disempowered regarding our ability to take control over our own wellbeing, and many people will find themselves fully reliant on what the drugs do for their body chemistry for the rest of their lives.
We want you to know there are other ways to go about stress management that are much healthier.
Natural Remedies For Stress
There are so many natural remedies for stress that will allow you to take back your own power and give you control over your mental and emotional state. They do require you putting in some work, however. What you put in is what you get out. Here are some natural remedies for stress that we think should become part of everyone's every day life:
1. Do the emotional work. You may need to work with a psychotherapist or life coach here, but pin pointing and addressing the core issue of your stress is your number one priority if you're wanting to live a stress-free life. Sorting out the underlying problem will be the most effective natural remedy for stress. Everything else will just support and reinforce this part of your healing journey.
2. Exercise. Exercise lowers cortisol (the stress hormone) and boosts endorphins (the happy hormone). It's also a great way to boost energy levels and release tension.
3. Supplements and nutrition. Did you know that some foodsare your brain's first defence against depression and stress? It's true. If you're not able to get in enough raw food sources, supplements such as blueberry extract, omega 3 fatty acids, ashwagandha, green tea, and valerian root are all powerful natural remedies for stress, depression, and anxiety.
4. Essential oils. There are a handful of essential oils that have proved effective as natural remedies for stress over the ages. Try out the calming and soothing oils such as lavender, bergamot, neroli, frankincense, sandalwood, ylang ylang, and geranium.
5. Reduce your caffeine intake. We were quite shocked to read that 5 cups of coffee per day is considered "moderation" given how over stimulating caffeine is to the nervous system. Too much caffeine can amplify anxiety and stress symptoms and make you feel worse. You could try yerba mate as a natural stimulant instead if you're looking for natural remedies for stress.
6. Make sure you have a support system. Studies have revealed that men and women with fewer meaningful connections are more likely to battle from depression and anxiety.
7. Laugher is the best medicine. Watch a comedy if laughter is short on supply in your life of late. Laughter boosts the immune system and relieves stress and tension.
8. Have healthy boundaries. If you're taking on too much and are feeling overwhelmed by your responsibilities, you can begin to be discerning about what you take on. And don't be shy to ask for help either!
9. Yoga. Yoga helps lower cortisol levels, blood pressure, and your heart rate, and is well known for the positive impact is has on millions of people around the world. Yoga is certainly one of the best options if you're looking for natural solutions for stress management.
10. Mindfulness practices. Meditation and other mindfulness practices are useful natural remedies for stress because they bring our attention to the present moment, which is away from our worries and stresses of yesterday or tomorrow. Mindfulness practices also help combat negative thinking.
11. Touch. Consensual cuddling, kissing, hugging and sex all release oxytocin and lower cortisol levels. Did you know even chimpanzees even cuddle their buddies to relieve stress? Touch has to be one of the greatest natural remedies for stress available to us.
12. Calming music. Lay back and listen to slow-paced instrumental music like the piano, or a recording of some sounds from the natural world. It won't be long before those good vibes life your spirits.
13. Breath-work. Diaphragmatic, abdominal, belly, and paced breathing exercises all activate our parasympathetic nervous system, which controls our relaxation responses. Breath in, breath out. Nice, slow, deep breaths. Wooosaaaaaah!
As you can see, there are so many natural remedies for stress for you to use, and the more you use, the better you're going to feel. There are much less negative side effects using natural solutions, if any at all. If anything, we think deepening your self care with natural ways is only going to improve your quality of life, and help you move forward into a life you love to look at and live.