Before we get to the root of the many Ashwagandha benefits we're sure you're going to adore, you may be interested to learn what it is and why this ancient wonder herb is getting so much hype today, in such a modern age. This short perennial shrub, in particular -- the roots, has been used medicinally in India, the Middle East, and North Africa for around three millennia, and the reason the western world is only now raging about it is because we're late to the party.
It was only with the advance of globalisation through transport and technology that we’re finally getting to know what has been working in other cultures around the world, and the Ashwagandha benefits come up strong. If you're looking for a champion contender in your campaign to manage your body naturally, you're going to be an instant fan of this humble yet powerful plant.
Ashwagandha has been used as a sacred rejuvenating and restorative herb in Ayurvedic Medicine in India for thousands of years. Ayurveda is one of the world's oldest holistic healing systems and its history can be traced back 6000 years. The natural healing system is grounded in the belief that health and well being are dependent on a delicate balance between the mind, body, and spirit, and the main goal is to promote better health.
After learning about Ashwagandha, it feels only natural that Pure Within made the decision to add it to our all-star health line-up when looking at what our beloved customers could use to take their health and wellness to the next level.
Without further delay, let's dig in and explore the Ashwagandha benefits and see who can benefit from adding this ancient root to your daily supplement and self-care protocol.
Here Are Pure Within's Top 6 Ashwagandha Benefits:
1. It helps with multiple stress-related issues: Probably the most famous of the ashwagandha benefits is the plant's ability to relieve stress levels, anxiety, chronic fatigue, depression, insomnia, and heart disease associated with stress. Stress weakens the immune system, but ashwagandha packs a punch with its adaptogens that help your body manage stress. Additional ashwagandha benefits in this department include lowering our cortisol levels. Cortisol is our stress hormone in our body that gets released when we're in stressful situations. Our systems are not built for the high levels of stress we're enduring day in and day out, and when we encounter high-stress environments for prolonged periods, our body is bound to get flooded with too much stress hormone and can result in adrenal fatigue. Ashwagandha helps your body by reducing cortisol levels and restoring hormones, which also helps alleviate depression and insomnia.
2. It boosts brain function: Feeling forgetful or foggy in the mind and like you're dragging an anchor behind you? Fear not. The ashwagandha benefits you can look forward to here include improved short- and long-term memory, more focused task function and concentration, increased attention span and energy, and enhanced information processing. Through the ashwagandha benefits of stress relief, a natural by-product is that it also protects our brains from cell degeneration. Ashwagandha has strong antioxidants that destroy the free radicals responsible for causing ageing. We could all definitely do with some of that!
3. It lowers blood sugar levels: Ashwagandha is invaluable to diabetics, and here's the short and sweet of why. Ashwagandha possesses flavonoids which are super helpful when it comes to stabilising blood sugar, improving insulin sensitivity, and reducing inflammatory markers thanks to the withanolides present in ashwagandha.
4. It helps fight cancer: This is a big deal. Also, reliable sources claim ashwagandha helps kick Human Papillomavirus's (HPV) butt for the same reason. This humble little root shrub from India up-regulates tumour suppression proteins and diminishes activity of HPV oncogenes in cervical cancer cells and other cancer cells thanks to a compound called apoptosis, which causes death in cancer cells. Research suggests ashwagandha has promising anti-tumour effects and may also help reduce tumour cell growth. Potentially one of the best of the ashwagandha benefits.
5. It gives your sex life a boost: Turns out another of the ashwagandha benefits is that it's a natural aphrodisiac! With regards to sexual function, ashwagandha provides significantly high improvements when it comes to arousal, lubrication, and orgasm, while also boosting virility and sperm count quality in men. Seriously, it helps kick cancer's butt and it improves sexual function? Ashwagandha deserves a prize.
6. It makes you stronger: Possibly the most surprising of the ashwagandha benefits is the ability to increase muscle mass and strength. This mighty herb may even double your reduction in body fat percentage if you're using it alongside clean eating and exercise to shape up and slim down. Industry research has shown that gains can be experienced in 30 days. Ashwagandha also helps support healthy joints.
What To Be Mindful Of
We've seen how ashwagandha benefits a lot of people, but there are a few instances where it's not recommended. Pregnant women should not take ashwagandha, and neither should women who are breastfeeding as it may cause miscarriage or be too strong for the baby. Ashwagandha should be used for small children only with the directive of a medical professional. People suffering from autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis or lupus should not take ashwagandha.
Additionally, ashwagandha has different interactions with some medications and while this mighty herb may boost the function on certain medication, it could negate the medication's function in others. Definitely only use ashwagandha if you've spoken to your doctor if you are taking medication for blood sugar, blood pressure, and thyroid issues. In conditions such as hypothyroidism, ashwagandha will boost your T4 levels so you may need to make sure you're still on the right dose of your meds, while in hyperthyroidism, ashwagandha will exacerbate the issue and is not recommended for use.
Besides the above, Pure Within thinks it's time to introduce your wellness worries to Ashwagandha. As you see, the Ashwagandha benefits are plenty, which is why we're so happy to be able to bring you such a valuable addition to compliment the rest of your self-care protocol. And, if you were asking yourself "Why Ashwagandha?" before, we're hoping you're now thinking "Well, why not?" after reading about these extraordinary benefits.
Pure Within's Ashwagandha comes in an attractive little package containing 60 Halal vegan capsules that offer you 1800mg of potent Ashwagandha root powder blended with black pepper extract, which enhances the plant's medicinal potency by increasing absorption into the body. We recommend taking 1 to 2 Ashwagandha caps daily, with one at night before bed as it is known to help you relax and sleep better.